Monday, January 10, 2011

Working World

The holidays are over here in Armenia. Well, almost. I did get invited to another celebration tonight but politely declined/postponed it. Eating mayonnaise and cow tongue salad ten days after it was prepared didn’t seem that appetizing tonight. Anywho, the official ten day holiday is over, so back to the “working world” I went. I researched a bit in the morning working on my new project. I am part of a group of about eight volunteers and host country nationals (HCNs) working to change the Armenian legislation about LGBT here. I am reaching out to Diaspora groups in America and basically doing HR for the NGO New Generation that is spearheading this project.
if interested:
http://www.ngngo-armenia.blogspot.com/
http://www.guarantee-ngo.blogspot.com/

After a few hours of that I decided to head down to Kapan to discuss another project, the Science Fair. I am the lead on this committee and working to try and get an awesome fair going for this spring. Fingers crossed. We got a considerable amount of snow last night to add to the all ready blanketed hillsides so I decide boots were made for walkin in the snow. I chose my warmest of the SmartWool socks, long underwear, marshmallow jacket, pull on my boots and start sweating in my apartment. Normal. As I opened the door and met with the brisk air I felt a sweet relief that I would not overheat on the walk. Then, about a minute and a half into my twenty-five minute walk down the slushy hill I realized that 1. my boots were not water proof, 2. Water was leaking in damn quick, 3. My feet were going to be soaking and freezing wet for 23 minutes. But look at the beautiful views I was still able to capture of my city as I headed down the 700+ stairs.



After an eventful tutoring session I ran into my handy man on the street who pulls out a jar of jam for me. I had been ignoring his phone calls the past few days and finally answered last night. I cried sickness to him as the reason for not calling him back. He said he would bring me jam but I was quite surprised to see that he had been carrying it around for me in his pocket all day. Strange.

This picture I grabbed of the town square where the xmas tree stands. It was actually the first time I had passed it at night and thought it quite pretty. Has my taste gone to total crap?

After some heated up leftovers of vegetable red thai curry with coconut milk I baked three loaves of pumpkin bread.

These are the two that were only slightly burnt in my horrid Armenian oven.

Oh, and I have a blender now and made hummus all the way from scratch yesterday. Note to everyone, heat up hummus and eat it. It will be all the more delicious.

My brand new 1500 dram toilet seat broke last night. Back to using the hovercraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment